Accessibility in the University of Tartu Art Museum
The Art Museum of the University of Tartu is located in the left wing of the main building of the University of Tartu. On this page you can find information about getting to the museum, moving around here and other things that affect the visitor experience.
For additional questions, please contact email@example.com or +372 737 5385.
Getting to the museum
The University of Tartu Art Museum is located in the left wing of the university’s main building.
Entering the building through the main door, you will find the art museum with the help of the floor plan in the lobby and the signs in the corridor.
The museum has no car park. You can use the public parking areas in the surrounding streets (for example, on Jakobi Street, Ülikooli Street or near the Tartu City Library). These are A zone parking areas. Read about parking zones and rates in Tartu here: https://tartu.ee/en/parking
In the backyard of the university main building, there is a parking space for people with reduced mobility and a ramp next to it, leading to the entrance. To use the entrance, call the administrator from the doorbell phone. The art museum is located to the right of the entrance.
There are bicycle racks in front of the university main building and on the side facing the university cafeteria.
There are several bicycle share stations in the city centre. Information on bicycle sharing in Tartu and the locations of stations is available at: https://tartu.ee/en/bike-share.
The nearest bus stops to the university main building are:
- Lai (280 metres, buses 6 and 21),
- Raeplats (400 metres, buses 6, 7, 13, 22),
- Kesklinn bus stops (700 metres, buses 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 11, 12, 22, 25, 37).
There is an elevator in the university’s main building. It is to the left of the main staircase in the lobby. The elevator can be used to access the assembly hall, the balcony of the assembly hall, and the senate hall.
Cloakroom and toilets
- Outerwear can be left in the cloakroom of the main building (left of the main entrance) or in a rack near the museum ticket desk.
- You can leave your child’s pram or pushchair in the cloakroom or at the art museum ticket desk, or you can take it with you to the exhibition halls.
- The nearest women’s toilet is on the right when exiting the museum door. The men’s toilet is in the lobby, to the right of the main staircase.
- An accessible toilet is located on the first floor next to the elevator.
Getting around the art museum
- The exhibitions of the University of Tartu Art Museum are mainly located in the art museum rooms on the first floor of the university’s main building.
- The assembly hall is on the second floor of the building, also accessible by elevator.
- The lock-up is in the attic, accessible only by a narrow wooden staircase.
- Some doors in the art museum have a low threshold. A ramp leads to the rear halls.
- See the exhibition page for information on how to get to each exhibition.
- The exhibition rooms, the assembly hall and the hallways of the main building have several benches and chairs with backs.
- Some exhibition rooms also have soft backless pouffes or cushions.
- See the exhibition page for information on the seating available at each exhibition.
Light and sound
- The lighting level of the exhibition halls varies.
- The exhibition “From Ancient and Forgotten Times. Things Necessary for a Good Life” and the Mummy Chamber have a continuous recording playing in the background.
- See the exhibition page for information on the light and sound of each exhibition.
You may take a trained guide dog to the museum with you.